OFFICE OF STATE UNIFORM PAYROLL MEMORANDUM #98-64
June 4, 1998
||All UPS Agencies
||Ronald S. Mitchell, Director
||Year 2000 Changes in UPS
As you are aware, Year 2000 is approaching. In order to be Year 2000 compliant, all computer systems must be programmed to accept the new century. OSUP has been testing Year 2000 changes for both the Master Record and Time Entry systems of UPS since March 1998. The testing has been completed and Year 2000 changes are scheduled to be migrated into the production area of UPS on June 16, 1998; and therefore, the payroll system will be down approximately 1 - 3 days, depending on problems encountered. Upon completion of the migration, the system will be available for entry. The Year 2000 changes will be effective for payday July 3, 1998.
Listed below is a summary of changes included for Year 2000. Attached is a table which outlines all date format changes, all fields that have been moved, and all fields that have been added. Also, copies of the screens which reflect fields that have been moved or added that are listed in the table are attached to preview the Year 2000 changes.
SUMMARY OF CHANGES:
- Due to the fact that several fields were added or repositioned, the order of entry has changed on the following screens:
BL14M201/211 - Employee Basic Data - Add/Update
BL14M205/215 - Distribution - Add/Update
BL14M222 - Group Insurance
- The pay period end date (PPE) has been changed on all screens in Time Entry and Master Records to MMDDCCYY (2/2/4). The PPE date is located in the upper right corner of the header of each screen.
- The date format of all fields that require entry in UPS has been changed from MMDDYY (2/2/2) format to MMDDCCYY (2/2/4) format with the exception of the leave change date which changed from MMYY (2/2) format to MMCCYY format (2/4). An invalid edit message will appear on the screen if dates are not entered in correct format.
- The address fields on the Basic Data Screens for Home and Mailing Address (BL14M201/BL14M211) have been extended from 29-30 characters to 40 characters. This extension should eliminate some address problems. Also, the PAR (parish) field has been changed to WK PAR.
- An Activity field for tracking information technology has been added to the Distribution Screen (BL14M205/BL14M215) and Time Entry Summary Inquiry Screen (BL14M519). Refer to OSUP Memorandum #98-59 for details.
- A Date of Death field has been added to the Employee Basic Data Screen (BL14M211). This is a memo field that should be entered in UPS as MMDDCCYY format. The date of death will be used later for W-2 reporting.
- An effective date, coverage term date and a comment field have been added to the Group Insurance Screens (BL14M222/BL14M223) for hospitalization and life. A comment field has also been added for dependent life. (These fields are memo fields only for agency use.)
- The only UPS report that will reflect the new date format is the On-line Audit Report (BL1707-01).
All Year 2000 changes are visible on the screens in UPS. A reissue of the On-Line System Users Manual is expected in September/October 1998. Until that time, please update your On-line Manual with these changes. If you have any questions, please contact the UPS Help Desk at (504) 342-8928.
| Division of Administration Home Page | Info Louisiana Home Page |OSUP Home Page |