The mission of the Administration/Education Program of CODOFIL is to affirm Louisiana's French-speaking citizens and the unique, vibrant Cajun, Creole, and Houmas cultures.
The goals of the Administration/Education Program are:
1. Provide elementary, secondary and college-level students, teachers and administrators with opportunities to engage in and profit from French language learning experiences.
2. Provide Louisianians with information, counsel and assistance regarding the state's Cajun and Creole linguistic and cultural heritage.
The Administration/ Education Program includes the following activities: Administration/Education, LA Gazette Production, Scholarship Administration, and Information Dissemination.
OBJECTIVES AND PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
1. The Administration/Education Program, will conduct 5 missions to Canada and 4 missions to Europe in FY 1998-99.
2. The Administration/Education Program, through the scholarship administration activity, will recruit at least 210 foreign associate teachers in FY 1998-99.
3. The Administration/Education Program, through the scholarship administration activity and in collaboration with the Consortium of Universities, will enable the linguistic perfection of at least 70 teachers and students through study abroad in FY 1998-99.
4. The Administration/Education Program, through the scholarship administration activity, will conduct at least 5 in-state continuing education seminars and workshops for at least 400 Louisiana teachers of French, and at least 210 foreign associate teachers of French in FY 1998-99.
5. The Administration/Education Program, through the information dissemination activity will advise and disseminate information to other state agencies and groups, by publishing 2 publications per year reaching in excess of 2,400 educators and citizens in FY 1998-99.
1. State agencies and groups: Department of Education, all public education institutions, Office of Tourism, Office of Economic Development non-profit Fancophone Associations, and the media.
RESOURCE ALLOCATION FOR THE PROGRAM
SOURCE OF FUNDING
This program is funded by general fund, interagency transfers and self-generated revenues. The interagency transfer is derived from the Louisiana Quality Education Support Fund [8(g)], and the self-generated revenues are collected through bilingual writing assistance services and scholarship administration fees.
ANALYSIS OF RECOMMENDATION
The total means of financing for this program is recommended at 103% of the existing operating budget. It represents 34.5% of the total request ($904,619) for this program. The changes in this program are primarily due to funding for merits, an increase in interagency transfer of 8(g) funds from the Department of Education and a decrease in risk management premiums. The total recommended amount above includes $311,707 of Supplementary Recommendations of which $230,707 State General Fund for the entire Codofil budget. Funding of this Supplementary Recommendation is dependent upon renewal of the current sales tax rate of 3% on the sales tax suspension of exemptions base.
ACQUISITIONS AND MAJOR REPAIRS
Return to the main page | Previous document | Next document