Program Authorization: R.S. 28:25.1; and Louisiana Code of Criminal Procedure, Title XXI, Article 641-661
The mission of the Community Support Program is to provide community-based services of the state's forensic program.
The goals of the Community Support Program are:
1. Reduce or eliminate the Feliciana Forensic Facility Admissions List.
2. Increase the number of patients discharged from inpatient services without increasing risk to the public.
Competency evaluation and restoration are done at the community level for persons adjudicated incompetent to proceed to trial and who are on a waiting list for admission to inpatient treatment. Trained forensic evaluators perform competency evaluations and/or restoration services on an outpatient basis and when competency is determined or restored those persons are sent to court without the cost of hospitalization.
Forensic patients who are discharged or diverted to a hospital setting are provided specialized aftercare service and treatment on an outpatient basis (New Orleans and Forensic Aftercare Clinic) and statewide monitoring and tracking services to more quickly respond to developing problems involving patients adjustment to society and compliance with Conditional Release Orders (ACT 800, 1995.)
OBJECTIVES AND PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
1. In FY 1998-99, the Community Support Program, through the Community Forensic Services activity, will reduce the number of patients who remain on the admission list for greater than 90 days.
2. In FY 1998-99, the Community Support Program will provide nine structured living placements for patients found not guilty by reason of insanity and Lockhart vs. Armistead patients which are commensurate with the patients level of functioning and pursue through new and expanded requests establishment of group homes into which certain forensic patients may be placed or discharged.
3. In FY 1998-99, the Community Support Program, will provide forensic aftercare services as mandated by Act 800 of the 1995 Regular Session, and mental health regions for Baton Rouge, Covington, Lafayette, Lake Charles and Thibodeaux-Houma areas.
SOURCE OF FUNDING
The Community Support Program is funded with general fund and interagency transfer revenue. Interagency transfers include Title XIX reimbursement for services provided to Medicaid eligible patients.
ANALYSIS OF RECOMMENDATION
The total means of financing for this program is recommended at 99.9% of the existing operating budget. It represents 49.3% of the total request ($ 1,552,851) for this program. The major changes include: The transfer of 3 temporary positions from other charges to the Table of Organization. The changes should have no significant impact on the delivery of these services.
Community Forensic Aftercare program to effect the discharges from civil hospitals and from Feliciana Forensic hospital for those individuals who have been adjudicated either not guilty by reason of insanity or permanent incompetence and to effect a conditional release program for those discharged to the community (including 5 positions)
ACQUISITIONS AND MAJOR REPAIRS
Return to the main page | Previous document | Next document