Program Authorization: R.S. 40:32 et. seq., 122.80 et. seq., 1299.80 et. seq.
The mission of the Vital Records and Statistics Program is to operate a centralized vital event registry and health data analysis office for the people of the State of Louisiana.
The goals of the Vital Records and Statistics Program are:
1. Facilitate the timely filing of high quality vital documents prepared by hospitals, physicians, coroners, funeral directors, Clerks of Court, and others.
2. Provide responsive public services.
3. Analyze and disseminate health information in support of health and social planning efforts.
The Vital Records and Statistics Program collects, transcribes, compiles, analyzes, reports, preserves, amends and issues vital records including birth, death, fetal death, abortion, marriage, and divorce certificates. In addition, this program is charged with operating the Louisiana Punitive Father Registry, the Orleans Parish Marriage License Office, and with recording all adoptions, legitimations, and other judicial edicts that affect the state's vital records.
OBJECTIVES AND PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
1. In FY 1998-99, the Vital Records and Statistics Program, through its Vital Records activity, will intake all Louisiana vital records, and process the records within 45 days of receipt to make them available for public service and for use in health status assessment and health planning.
2. In FY 1998-99, the Vital Records and Statistics Program, through its Vital Records activity, will provide direct client services for certified copies of birth, death, and marriage records, and for issuance of marriage licenses within thirty minutes of the request and will respond to 65% of mail requests for certified copies of vital records within two weeks, and 98% of requests for emergency service within the continental U.S. within 24 hours.
3. In FY 1998-99, the Vital Records and Statistics Program will publish and distribute vital statistics and other Louisiana health information as required by law and/or warranted by public need.
SOURCE OF FUNDING
This program is funded with self-generated revenue, and federal funds. Self-generated revenues are comprised of fees for the provision of certified copies of Vital Records. The fees range from $2 to $10 depending upon the type of record provided. Federal sources of funding are grants awarded as part of cooperative agreements to provide statistical data to the federal government.
ANALYSIS OF RECOMMENDATION
The total means of financing for this program is recommended at 100.3% of the existing operating budget. It represents 36.2% of the total request ($8,917,244) for this program.
ACQUISITIONS AND MAJOR REPAIRS
Return to the main page | Previous document | Next document