Program Authorization: La. Constitution, Article IV, Sec. 12; R.S. 36:661; R.S. 18:16-21; R.S. 18:31; R.S. 18:51-64; and R.S. 18:1400.2-1400.6
The mission of the Administration Program is to ensure the efficient functioning if the Department of Elections and Registration and to make the election process in the State of Louisiana the most honest and efficient possible and instill confidence in the election process for all Louisiana voters.
The goals of the Administration Program are:
1. Ensure that the laws under the jurisdiction of the department, relating to the conduct of elections and voter registration, are faithfully administered and executed.
2. Ensure that all departmental functions are carried out in the most efficient and cost-effective manner possible.
3. Provide election officials, candidates for elections, and the general public with information relating to election laws and procedures and voter registration.
4. Provide administrative support to all programs within the department.
The Administration Program contains the executive and the administrative support functions of the Department of Elections and Registration; the program directs and supports all other programs under the jurisdiction of the department.
The Administration Program includes the following activities: Commissioner's Office and Business Affairs. The Commissioner's Office is responsible for the executive support functions and election research. The Business Affairs activity is responsible for accounting, property control, payroll, personnel, and purchasing. With the exception of the commissioner of election's salary, all other expenses are discretionary.
Explanatory Note: The department has changed its procedures on counting the number of elections held. The count has been revised for FY 1991-92 to FY 1994-95.
OBJECTIVES AND PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
The Administration Program provides leadership to the Department of Elections and Registration. The success of this program is reflected in the success of other programs in the department. Performance information consistent with this program's strategic plan and the statewide model for administrative/support services programs will be reported next year. For FY 1998-99, program objectives and performance indicators include:
1. In FY 1998-99, the Administration Program will support 100% of all precincts holding elections and make every effort to keep any increase in the cost per voter of the Administration Program to under 5%.
1 After the Congressional elections in 1998, the number of registered voters will decrease due to list maintenance procedures. The cost per registered voter will appear to increase dramatically but will actually be the artifact of the list maintenance procedure. Each time voter lists undergo this type of maintenance, the new voter registration figure becomes a baseline performance level against which subsequent voter registration figures may be compared.
2. In FY 1998-99, the Administration Program will lead department efforts to keep the number of elections held as a result of lawsuits alleging machine malfunction to 5% or less of the total number of elections held, in order to instill public confidence in the election system.
3. In FY 1998-99, the Administration Program will assure that all necessary approvals and preclearances are obtained for 100% of forms, procedures, and rules and regulations.
RESOURCE ALLOCATION FOR THE PROGRAM
SOURCE OF FUNDING
This program is funded with state general fund.
ANALYSIS OF RECOMMENDATION
The total means of financing for this program is recommended at 87.9% of the existing operating budget. It represents 80.4% of the total request ($1,462,355) for this program. The decreased funding is primarily due to the decrease in risk management premiums.
ACQUISITIONS AND MAJOR REPAIRS
Return to the main page | Previous document | Next document