In fulfilling its mission, the Department of State serves as official keeper of the Great Seal of the State of Louisiana and chief election officer of the state. The Secretary of State countersigns and keeps an official registry of all commissions. Additionally, the Secretary of State is responsible for administering the state's corporation and trademark laws; administering and preserving the official archives of the state; and promulgating and publishing all laws enacted by the legislature and retaining the originals. The goals of the Department of State are:
1. Provide leadership and support services to the Department of State and assist each section supervisor in reaching their established program goals.
2. Maintain the best overall election system in the United States.
3. Collect, preserve and make available to the public governmental records which document the history of Louisiana.
4. Provide an effective interpretation and presentation conveying the multifaceted elements of our state's history, industry, culture and archaeology using museums and historic sites.
5. Maximize the efficiency of document processing and the provision of information services to the public.
The Department of State is a constitutional entity headed by the Secretary of State. The Department of State has five programs: Administrative, Elections, Archives and Records, Museums/Other Operations and Commercial.
This agency's recommended appropriation includes $430,162 for short-term debt, including Lease Purchase agreements.
In addition to the above recommended appropriation, $1,001,229 will be paid in Fiscal Year 1998-1999 for long-term debt incurred on behalf of this agency from the previous sale of bonds. Total long-term debt service payments for the state for Fiscal Year 1998-1999 are reflected in the Governor's Executive Budget Supporting Document in Non-Appropriated Requirements, Schedule 22-922.
This agency's recommended appropriation also includes the following amount by means of financing for payments on the unfunded accrued liability of the Louisiana State Employees' Retirement System in accordance with the provisions of Article X, Section 29 of the Constitution of Louisiana:
04 DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Return to the main page | Previous document | Next document