Program Authorization: R.S. 46:2121-2177; R.S. 46:2521
The mission of the Family Violence Program is to provide family violence victims with the necessary and quality resources to end violence in their lives through crisis intervention, safe shelter and eventually independent living.
The goals of the Family Violence Program are:
1. Provide safe refuge and support for victims of violence and their children, through statewide contracts with battered women's programs.
2. Increase programs services for unmet needs, and for the regions of north central, northeast, and northwest Louisiana.
3. Assure that family violence programs provide comprehensive, efficient and cost effective services for victims.
This program was created because evidence shows the acute need for safe shelter for victims of domestic abuse. Domestic violence is estimated to occur at least once in two-thirds of all marriages. It happens among all races and socio-economic groups. Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women between the ages of 15 and 44 in the United States.
The Family Violence Program consists of one activity: Family Violence.
OBJECTIVES AND PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
1. In FY 1998-99, the Family Violence Program will provide services to 3,500 sheltered women.
2. In FY 1998-99, the Family Violence Program will provide services to 4,560 sheltered children.
3. In FY 1998-99, the Family Violence Program will provide services to 14,946 nonresidential women.
4. In FY 1998-99, the Family Violence Program will provide services to 5,880 nonresidential children.
5. In FY 1998-99, the Family Violence Program will provide nonresidential services to 58 abusers.
1 This number reflects an overestimation in services provided. the number of abusers served was a reflection of services provided by umbrella agencies that provided such services through local funding or other grant sources. The historical performance over a three year period for this goal was far lower. Actual for 94/95 was 214; actual for 95/96 was 162 and actual for 96/97 was 52.
RESOURCE ALLOCATION FOR THE PROGRAM
SOURCE OF FUNDING
This program is funded with state general fund, fees and self-generated revenues, Statutory Dedications and federal funds. Fees and self-generated revenues are derived from an additional $12.50 charged for marriage licenses. Statutory Dedications are derived from the Battered Women's Shelter Fund from civil fees charged on divorce proceedings. (Per R.S. 39:32B. (8), see table below for a listing of expenditures out of each statutory dedicated fund.) The federal funds are derived from the Family Violence Prevention and Service Act.
ANALYSIS OF RECOMMENDATION
The total means of financing for this program is recommended at 99.4% of the existing operating budget. It represents 99.1% of the total request ($2,991,555) for this program.
ACQUISITIONS AND MAJOR REPAIRS
Return to the main page | Previous document | Next document