The mission of The Louisiana Educational Television Authority (LETA) is to continually improve, through the medium of television and innovative technologies, the quality of life of Louisiana citizens by providing excellence in educational and culturally informative programming and related services that educate, enlighten, and entertain.
The goals of LETA are:
1. Maintain Louisiana's role as a nationally-recognized leader in emerging engineering and education technologies by utilizing 8(g) funds, additional grants and corporate support, thus ensuring continued growth and development and realizing LETA's mission to provide Louisiana's citizens with the best of public, educational television.
2. Further the educational and cultural enrichment of the citizens of this state through the use of public, educational television in the State of Louisiana.
3. Operate a statewide network of six television stations licensed by the Federal Communications Commission and located in Alexandria, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Monroe and Shreveport.
4. Broadcast educational programming on WLAE-TV New Orleans.
5. Provide off-air services such as teleconferencing, satellite and computer services to organizations in education, government, private industry and public broadcasting.
LETA has two programs: Administration/Support Services Program, and the Broadcasting Program.
This agency's recommended appropriation includes $865,568 for short-term debt, including Lease purchase agreements.
In addition to the above recommended appropriation, $313,028 will be paid in Fiscal Year 1999-2000 for long-term debt incurred on behalf of this agency from the previous sale of bonds. Total long-term debt service payments for the state for Fiscal Year 1999-2000 are reflected in the Governor's Executive Budget Supporting Document in Non-Appropriated Requirements, Schedule 22-922.
This agency's recommended appropriation also includes the following amount by means of financing for payments on the unfunded accrued liability of the Louisiana State Employees' Retirement System and/or the Teachers' Retirement System in accordance with the provisions of Article X, Section 29 of the Constitution of Louisiana:
Return to the main page | Previous document | Next document