The mission of the Office of Workforce Development is to work to lower the unemployment rate in Louisiana by working with employers, employees, and government agencies to provide the training, assistance, and regulatory services that develop a diversely skilled work force with access to good-paying jobs. The Office of Workforce Development is committed to having the Louisiana Department of Labor (LDOL) employees work together to provide high quality, integrated services in a professional and timely manner to accomplish this mission.
The goals of the Office of Workforce Development are:
1. To have training and educational programs and initiatives operating under the Louisiana Department of Labor provide high quality training and education that is relevant to the current needs of Louisiana employers.
2. To fund source initiatives so that the citizens of Louisiana will be best served by programs that are flexible enough to adapt to changing labor and employer needs in the work place. Moving, where possible from funding streams to funding pools in order to use resources most effectively to further the mission of the LDOL and it services to the citizens of Louisiana.
3. To foster employer involvement by having both employers and employees involved in need determination and service direction, so that programs and procedures will serve the current needs of those directly affected.
4. To improve the efficiency of operations by integrating services, wherever possible, with other divisions and agencies and installing a continuous process that evaluates and removes service duplication wherever possible.
5. To improve the effectiveness of the programs and services of the LDOL through increased public awareness and acceptance of programs and services which increases public awareness, improves the image, and establishes the LDOL as the information source for employment issues. It is also the goal of this agency to increase relations with the Louisiana and federal legislatures, and other government bodies.
6. To use technology in an appropriate manner by adequately trained personnel to accomplish the mission of the LDOL by upgrading the technology and training available to ensure services are delivered in the most cost-effective manner.
This agency's recommended appropriation does not include any funds for short-term debt.
This agency does not have any long-term debt for Fiscal Year 1999-2000.
This agency's recommended appropriation also includes the following amount by means of financing for payments on the unfunded accrued liability of the Louisiana State Employees' Retirement System in accordance with the provisions of Article X, Section 29 of the Constitution of Louisiana:
Return to the main page | Previous document | Next document